Friday, June 11, 2010

Pukapalooza 2010

I can probably count the number of times Dylan has thrown up on one hand, he's just not a puker.   However, when he does it, he does it big.

There was this little incident at Dutch Wonderland a couple of years ago.   There was the time he barfed up refried beans all over his bed, to the point we had to replace his comforter and a couple of pillows.

Then there was last night.

It started off innocently enough.  We made pizza for dinner and headed to Dylan's school for the much acclaimed First Grade Patriotic end-of-year program.  All the first graders, adorably dressed head to toe in red, white and blue, were to adorn an auditorium of proud parents and grandparents singing their little Yankee Doodle hearts out.  Mom and Robby came out, all of us perched in the front row as proud as peacocks.

Dylan has been practicing his songs for weeks, so I should have known something was up when I saw he wasn't really doing much singing.  The first kid to toss cookies was Dylan's best friend at school.  Fortunately he towards the front row and the teacher was able to help him make a quick exit out the side door of the auditorium onto the grass.  A few minutes later, as the show was ending, Dylan was starting to look a little green.

I started to worry.  He had mentioned another classmate throwing up at school that day.  He had told me after eating his dinner that his tummy hurt.  A quick feel of the forehead told me he had no fever, and I chalked it up to nerves before the big show. 

It all happened so fast.  He covered his mouth, I guess trying to hold it in.  But he was three rows back, shoulder to shoulder with 130 kids on stage.  It was hot.  There was nothing he could do but unleash the fury.

All over the kids next to him.

Yes, I don't know which is the bigger parenting nightmare.  To have your child projectile vomit in front of the entire school, or to be the parent of one of the unfortunate recipients of another childs' puke.

He looks great in these first three, right?






Uh oh, suddenly I think he felt it coming on  here...



and here I have to think he was looking at me thinking "I'm going to blow!"  This was just minutes before the horrific scene..




As if this all wasn't enough, the principal had to ask to borrow one of our wipes to clean some puke off her shoe.


Sigh. One more week of school.  And he was so close to having perfect attendance this year.

No comments: