Friday, July 15, 2011

the diving duo

Today after swim team practice, we headed to Grandma's to spend the day together with her and cousins Josh and Maya.  It was a sort of cloudy and overcast day, but we've had this planned all week, and we weren't backing down.

It turned into a gorgeous, sunny day and we were poolside for four hours.  Ordering pizza, buying ice cream and frollicking in the water.  There's just no better way to spend a summer day than that.

I love my Moms' neighborhood pool because there's hardly anyone ever there, they let you use noodles in the pool (our pool won't let you).  Plus its huge and beautiful with tons of shade, and they sell ice cream for $1 at every break.

Another great benefit is they don't make kids pass a swim test to be able to go off the diving boards. At our pools, they're very strict and you must pass a rigorous test before you can go down slides or off diving boards.  Logan isn't quite there yet, although after todays' antics, he just might try this weekend.  He can doggie paddle but is much more timid around water and has never had the total confidence in the pool yet that Dylan seemed to have since he was very young.

We arrived at my Moms pool, greeted everyone, and Logan suddenly announced he was going off the diving board.  I was thinking "Really?" in my head, but out loud I said "Okay!".  I asked the lifeguard  if I could get in the deep end (11 feet) to help Logan once he jumped and they wouldn't let me (understandable). So, I stood on the side of the deep end and watched him climb up the dive ladder (its kind of a medium high dive) and march to the end of the board.  I'm holding my camera and looking around thinking 'If I have to jump in this pool quick, where am I gonna put this thing?"

Since he's been less confident in the water than what I was used with Dylan, my biggest fear was that he'd jump in, swallow a bunch of water, choke and never want to do it again.  Or, just sink right to the bottom.  And my big motive right now is to get him on Dylan's swim team next summer so we can have both of the boys doing a summer sport and getting lots of exercise.

Well as it turns out, I have nothing to worry about.  This is a video of his approximate 100th dive of the day.




And Dylan, who's been at this for years already.


pizza
picnic
pool  
 what else do you need?

 

oh yes, ice cream!



And a very sweet, fun, loving Grandma.


What a great day!

No comments: