Friday, November 18, 2011

A Scholarly Week

This whole week, our school celebrated American Education Week.  All the grades had different programs everyday, along with an awesome book fair.  Parents were invited to come and spend time at school and cafeteria.  Its always a great week at our school, and this year even better since today the kids also got to take part in a special celebration for being one of only six public Virginia schools awarded the distinguished National Blue Ribbon Award.

On Monday, we got to visit Logan in his kindergarten class, make a special craft, watch the kids perform several adorable songs they've been practicing for weeks, and visit the book fair.



Logan was all the way at the furthest end from where I could stand, so its not the best close up video, but the song is just adorable.


Third graders had a very special project.   Weeks ago, each third grade student chose a famous person they wanted to impersonate in a Living Museum project.  The kids were to memorize facts about their famous person, dress like that person, and come to life as that person today in the museum  They all wore a  "Press to Talk" button, and as the parents passed up and down the 'museum' hallways, kids gave their speeches every time their button was pushed.  

Dylan chose George Washington as the famous person he wanted to become.  He memorized these facts:

• Hi, I am George Washington. I was born on February 22, 1732.


• I grew up at a little farm house in Virginia.

• I was a good horseback rider and I liked to hunt.

• I was good at math and had a surveying job.

• My army defeated the Red Coats and we won the Revolutionary War in 1783.

• I became the first President of the U.S. when I was 57 years old.

• My nickname is “Father of Our Country.”

• I became ill and died in December 1799.

Here's George himself:





Dylan LOVED this project, as history is one of his favorite subjects.  He also loves and excels in math and science.  He does not take after his mother.  We're hoping to take him to Mt. Vernon over the winter break, so he can see George Washington's home.

The boys also both brought home their first report cards of the year, and I'm so proud of them both.  They both did excellent!

Its been a great fall so far, and I'm so thankful for all we have, for the boys school and love of learning, and for our family and friends.

No comments: