Wednesday, November 28, 2012

shootin' turkeys


No, we didn't shoot our own turkeys for Thanksgiving but we could have.  Any visit to Grandpa Joe's these days is all about the main event for the boys - shooting guns.  See, Grandpa has a whole safe full of weaponry and we have absolutely none at our house.  Last summer, Grandpa gave the boys a lesson in Gun Safety 101.

I don't know how two boys born of my gun-hating flesh and blood can love guns so much, but at least if they are going to love them, let them learn safety from someone who is practically an expert.

We pulled up last Wednesday around lunch time and I don't think I had the car in park before the boys were already in the backyard checking out the pellet gun shooting range Grandpa had set up.

 
He had all sorts of containers filled with water, and as the boys shot and made contact, they shouted with excitement.  Dylan is actually a very good shot.  He and Andrew went with Grandpa and Uncle Chris to the real shooting range on Saturday to shoot real guns.  I stayed behind, but I heard he had a lot of fun.
 
 
My Dad had driven to Ohio and picked up Grandma Williams from her assisted living facility so she could spend the holiday with all of us.  I think it really did her well to be around all the great grandkids, although I'm sure she turned down her hearing aid more than once.
 
 
My Dad and Josh carved up one of the turkeys.
 
 
While Uncle Chris made his famous cranberry orange relish.
 
 
I whipped up my sweet potato souffle.
 
 
Grandma Bobbie sat down once the entire time we were there, I think. She has endless energy!
 
 
Another favorite for the boys each trip is helping Grandpa make chocolate chip pancakes.
 
 
 
Friday was a beautiful day, and I got Grandma Williams to sit outside with me for a bit.
 
 
And it must have worked up her appetite because later she had two pieces of pie!
 
 
Josh and Logan colored.
 
 
And we all did what we're so lucky to do ... spend time together, drinking a lot, laughing a lot and making memories.
 
 
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!
 
 
 
 

No comments: