Thursday, August 6, 2009

Don't You Forget About Me

This blog has become mostly a chronicle of the daily life with two little boys, our family antics and adventures, maybe a recipe here or there, and a few rants along the way. I don't often talk politics, philosophy, pop culture or movies. And we watch a lot of movies.

Today, the world lost one of my personal heroes from the film world, John Hughes. Only 21 years older than me, he wrote and directed the movies that spoke to me in my teens and 20's like no other director. His films filled my teen life with more quotes and more music than I can even remember. And to think he wrote these movies when he was in his 20's and early 30's is amazing to me. But it also explains how he so well captured the angst of high school stereotypes, and made adolescence a little more bearable for us all. His movies are a part of my history .. Soundtracks I can listen to and still remember how it felt to be sixteen, fragile and invincible at the same time .. Music that changed my entire world of music and opened my eyes .. Movies I can watch today and still laugh out loud every single time.

I'd be remiss if I didn't share a collection of some of my all time favorite John Hughes movie quotes and clips and bid him final farewell.


Pretty in Pink
Probably my all time favorite soundtrack!
I loved Duckie.
"We don't have none of this stuff in the boy's room! Wait a minute! We don't got none of this... we don't got doors on the stalls in the boy's room, we don't have, what is this? What's this? We don't have a candy machine in the boy's room!"

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."
"You're Abe Froman? The Sausage King of Chicago?" ... "I weep for the future."
Here are some great one-liners from Ferris.

National Lampoon's Vacation
" This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest, a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and your gonna have fun. We're gonna have so much fucking fun they're gonna need plastic surgeons to remove the smiles from our fucking faces. We'll be whistling zippity-doo-dah out of our assholes."

The famous urine sandwich.

"Is that real tomato ketchup? Only the best, Eddie."

The Breakfast Club
"Well, well. Here we are. You have exactly eight hours and fifty-four minutes to think about why you're here. You may not talk, you will not move from these seats. Any questions?"
"Yeah. Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"


"Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns!"

Wierd Science
"How about a nice, greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

"You know, there's going to be sex, drugs, rock-n-roll... chips, dips, chains, whips... You know, your basic high school orgy type of thing. I mean, uh, I'm not talking candlewax on the nipples, or witchcraft or anything like that, no, no, no. Just a couple of hundred kids running around in their underwear, acting like complete animals."

And who could forget this scene?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The entire rental car scene makes me laugh out loud just thinking about it.

Sixteen Candles
Who can ever forget Long Duk Dong?
"What's your last name?" "Dong."
"What's your first name?" "Long."
"What's your middle name?" "Duk."

"What was he wearing? Well, uh, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes... No, he's not retarded. "

"You gave me a birth control pill? Do you know what that can do to a guy my age?"


"I really love Rudy. He is totally enamored of me. I mean, I've had other men love me before, but not for six months in a row. "

Some Kind of Wonderful

"And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds;are immune to your consultations, they are quite aware of what they are going through." -David Bowie


Thanks for the great movies John. We won't forget about you.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks Michelle, that was a wonderful tribute!