Monday, January 23, 2012

farm fresh cinammon apple bread

Today is a teacher work day, so the kids are home from school.  The weather is depressingly blah.  And other than booking our summer beach vacation this past weekend, we really haven't done anything exciting lately.  Today is no different, except Dylan is at an all day birthday party/playdate, so its me and Logan and a whole day to conquer.

We've been crafting all morning, and then all of the sudden (being that his attention span is well, comparitive to that of a fruitfly), he announced he would like some apple bread.  As if that's just something I have available in the pantry.  A pantry that is pretty well stocked mind you, but no, I didn't happen to have any freshly baked apple bread.

I've never made my own apple bread. I make banana bread ALL the time, whenever we have bananas going bad, and throw the loaves in the freezer. Its one of Dylan's favorite breakfasts.


So Logan said we should look up how to make it on "The Google", and that's what we did.  I came across a few recipes that sounded good and narrowed it down to one I had all the ingredients to make.  I knew I could put him to work cutting the apples into pieces while I rounded up the other ingredients. I made a few changes to this recipe (added more cinammon, omitted the walnuts since my kids don't like them, etc.) and it came out DELISH.  I mean truly, this isn't really bread, lets be honest.  Its well within cake realm.  But Apple Bread makes it sound as if it  has a few less calories, right?  Its not overly sweet, but it is super moist and full of yummy cinammon flavor.  Don't skimp on the apples, throw a ton of them in there.
 
As an extra bonus, this makes your house smell INCREDIBLE.  Which was an added bonus of making this today, since we roasted broccoli for dinner last night and the house is a bit smelly.

Here's my little helper, chopping apples.


And taking an early 'test' lick.  Notice the flour on his forehead.






Farm Fresh Cinammon Apple 'Bread'

What you need:
3 cups all-purpose flour (I like to use unbleached)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP baking powder
1/2 TSP salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups white sugar
1 eggs beaten
1 TSP vanilla extract
2 cups apples - peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (I used Granny Smith, I think they hold up best when baking)
chopped walnuts (optional)



What you do:
Spray your loaf pan(s) generously with nonstick spray.  In bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl, place oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and apples. Stir into flour mixture. Pour mixture in to one large loaf pan, or you can divide mixture between two greased smaller loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan.  Note:  If you opt for one loaf in a larger loaf pan, it might take another 15-20 minutes to bake evenly all the way through - be sure to do the 'toothpick' test (or use a butter knife if your pan is too deep.).  If your loaf doesn't fall easily out of your pan when you turn it upside down, just use a butter knife to gently separate it from the sides of the pan, and wiggle..it will come out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soo going to make this. will let you know how it goes! thanks soo much for sharing! you are an incredible mom!