Wednesday, May 2, 2012

a glimpse of the future

Today was exciting for both boys, as they got to enjoy big long-anticipated events at school. 

It was Third Grade field day for Dylan.   Instead of spelling and math and social studies, the kids got to spend all day of field day outside, playing games and sports, and watching a movie during lunch.  Andrew took some time this afternoon and hung out with Dylan at school, having lunch together (trying the very popular Buffalo chicken bites) and helping out with some games.

Logan got to actually spend the entire day at school.  Kindergarten here is still half day and he only has school each day from 11:30 - 2:30.  This morning, I got to drive both boys to school at 7:30 and drop them at the kiss-and-go line.   Logan spent most of the day in first grade, seeing a glimpse of what lies ahead  next year.  Most excitedly, he got to buy lunch at school, and then the kindergartners did two preview shows of the super excellent and totally cute kindergarten program they'll perform for us parents tomorrow night.  He has been looking forward to this day for weeks, knowing he got to go to school today as a 'big boy' and you can see it by the smile on his face.  

They both had great days, and I had a special treat waiting for them when they got home.   I have to admit, I got a little choked up dropping him off in carline this morning thinking next year my boys will both be at school for 7 hours a day.   All these years of being home with me, at least one of them at least half the day for the past nine years, and now that will be ending.  Another chapter closed.   Don't get me wrong, it will be fantastic to get some 'me' time back, and focus on my new business (more info on that another time), but nonetheless, a little sad this part of the journey is going to change drastically next fall.  I am eternally grateful for the priviledge of staying home with them all these years.

Tomorrow night is the annual Kindergarten program and I know I'm going to need to bring some tissues.  These are the parts of parenting that are truly so utterly special and sacred.  I love watching my boys grow and learn and enjoy.





No comments: