Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

This past Monday, a whole new year began.  I always feel like the beginning of school is truly the start of a New Year, not January 1st.   Its a whole new routine, lots of new things starting at once, and tons of schedule changes. 

Its the beginning of for the first time in 10 years, having 7 hours of house to myself.  Wow, has that been a wonderful, wonderful thing.  I've started exercising again, volunteering at school, meeting with my business partner to plan our pursuit of new clients, meeting friends for lunch, going on day dates with Andrew, reading, and the usual errands/cooking/cleaning and managing of our family social calendar.  Its a glorious 7 hours of quiet time to think, relax, and get sh*t done around this joint.  Calling doctors back and having uninterrupted conversations, cleaning out some closets, planting flowers...  the type of stuff that just can't get done during summer months with two kids in the house 24/7.

The boys get home at 2:45 daily and then I switch to mom-mode.  Homework, after school activities, play dates and such.   Between taekwondo (Logan) and Webelos (Dylan), we have plenty on our calendar right now and I'm glad I didn't sign the boys up for any other fall sports.  Logan wants to join the track/running program after school twice a week so we may add that in.  If he does it, there will be a 5K fun run in early December to end the season and I plan to participate with him (!!).

I have to say, the first week of school went exceptionally smoothly.  No one had a melt down, the boys love their teachers and have plenty of friends on the bus, in their classes, at lunch and at recess.   Homework has been very minimal so far. I'm sure once that hits full force I'll be breaking out the wine.  But so far, so good!

Here are my handsome boys the morning of the first day of school - August 27th 2012, Dylan age 9 1/2 and Logan age 6.





No comments: