Wednesday, May 14, 2008

a crush and a homocide

Yesterday when I picked Dylan up at preschool, I learned he has a girlfriend. Her name is Jayda, and she is a cute little blond tiny thing. She colored a heart for him, and then ripped it in half so Dylan could bring his half home. Dylan told me when they get a little older, they are going to drive to Chuck E Cheese together. If only next week weren't the last week of preschool! But, it is, and I'm honestly ready to trade days of dropping off and picking up for lazy days at the pool. His preschool field day is June 5th and then we'll be looking ahead to kindergarten. Hard to believe. I'm sure this disbelief will be a recurring theme in my summer posts, but I just can't believe my little man is going to real school soon.

********************

Logan's speech therapy sessions have been sort of on hold the past few weeks due to come scheduling issues. This Monday, she spent 1 1/2 hours with him at our house, and noted lots of progress since she last saw him. He is really imitating us now, and will at least attempt to make the beginning consonant sound of a word. He has added car, go, cup, boo, up, duck, cow and probably a few other words I am forgetting. So I'd say he's up to about 12-15 words that he'll use when prompted or imitating us. Our next goal is to encourage him to use words spontaneously on his own. He loves saying "yeaaaaaa" really drawn out and will reply to any question asked. Logan, would you like a banana? "Yeaaaaaaaaa". Logan, would you like to play puzzles? "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa". Logan, would you like to eat some pickled monkey brains? "Yeaaaaaaa". He's not discriminating.

His tantrums seem about the same in frequency and intensity - some days are better than others. His hitting has definitely tapered to maybe once or twice a day. The best days are ones where we stay busy and have at least one excursion outside. He is trying so hard to jump and crouches down in the right position, but can't quite get both of his feet off the ground yet.

We are waging a paci war and its a battle to keep it away from him when he's awake. This was never a battle we had to wage with Dylan, who never cared about pacis and stopped sucking his fingers on his own at 18 months after a raging case of hand, foot and mouth. When Logan has a little more maturity and comprehension under his tiny belt, I think we're going to wrap up all the binkys in a pretty box and take them to the baby pandas at the Zoo. We don't want him walking around all day with a binky in his mouth preventing him from practicing his sounds. But you come over and try taking it away from him. Do they make a Paci-rette Patch?

******************************************

I forgot to mention a couple of weeks ago that I committed homocide. I was holding the Sea Monkey container over the kitchen sink and it got away from me. Before I knew it, they were all down the garbage disposal. I felt terrible, as most of them were pregnant and we even had some new babies. Poor little Sea Monkeys. My bad.

*****************************************

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our cousins tomorrow night for a nice long weekend of fun and playing and grilling and adult beverages! We haven't seen them for about a year. Dylan is so excited to have two little boys his age to play with all weekend. I hope to take lots of photos of their visit. Logan will be old enough this time to join in the reindeer games too now that he's a "big boy". Last time they visited, I sliced a chunk of my finger while making a salad and spent a couple of hours in the ER getting stitches instead of enjoying margaritas like I should have been. The shame of it. Here's hoping someone else mans the knives this time so I don't take any chances to miss happy hour.

2 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

I want to have a weekend with adult bevs! Lucky you! Logan sounds like he is really making progress with the speech. That's great. We are waging the same paci war over here - Laynie would keep it in her mouth all day if we would let her, and honestly I've been slack, but I'm trying to get better about hiding them. She knows what drawer we keep them in and helps herself. She calls it her "mimi."

Sarah said...

I love this post and the updates, but most of all - I love the sea monkeys down the drain. Made me giggle....