Friday, May 2, 2008

reason #1,789 why i love my husband

You must remember our possum friend from last month? He came sauntering onto our screen porch thru the doggie door last night. I went to let Bella out and she freaked and before I even saw the varmint, she had chased it into a corner and had its head in her mouth. It was playing dead and I thought she killed it. I thought there was blood all over the floor (turns out it was just drool, I'm not sure whose, maybe mine?). I'm screaming "No Bella! No Bella!" and she comes back inside. I close the glass door and Bella and I stand there staring at the possom playing, well.... possom.


While this is happening, Andrew very calmly disappears to the basement for a good five minutes or so. I’m standing there in the kitchen looking at the possum who is just started blinking its beady little black eyes again and I'm wondering where the heck Andrew went at a time like this?? He arrives carrying (I am SO not kidding) a mop and a long telephone cord, from which he quietly and quickly proceeds to fashion a snare, total MacGyver style, and steps onto the porch to snag it around the neck. It must have sensed his fierce determination in becoming the first man to capture a possom using a cleaning apparatus, so it runs back out thru the doggie door. I’m yelling more than one obscenity, as it scurries off into the darkness, and we both collapse into fits of laughter.


When we caught our breath, I asked him what he planned to do with it if he had gotten the snare around its neck. To which he matter of factly replied he was going to just walk it down to the corner where there are some woods and let it go. We live on a pretty busy through street. If you were a motorist, can you imagine seeing some guy at 11 pm calmly walking a possum connected to a mop and a telephone cord?? If you were a burglar, I bet you'd think twice before breaking into our house. Who knows what he'll come up with for the next intruder.

No comments: