Friday, April 23, 2010

ronda

I am blessed to have so many great friends.  Truly, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't pause and give thanks for the many incredible, smart, funny and generous people I'm lucky to call my friends.

I met Ronda when we were in middle school.  We had braces back then.  We were just starting to go boy crazy.  We read each other's poetry and we journeyed through high school together, also visiting each other throughout college.  I visited her when she went away to chiropractic college in California. She was in my wedding.  And we get together when we can to visit.   She's been a true friend all of these years, and we share a rich history of friendship, adventures and stories.  I'm lucky to call her my friend.

Last week, Ronda did something so truly selfless and incredible. Something so out of the realm of comfort and safety.  Something that's inspiring and has left me in awe.

Ronda put her medical practice and personal life on hold, and joined 13 other chiropractors, and traveled to Haiti on a humanitarian mission.  They stayed in tents on top of a house at an orphanage amid the post massive earthquake rubble, and gave care to people in tent cities and remote mountain villages.

When I first saw her amazing photos, I didn't even know what to say. Its heartbreaking to see these people, especially the children, living in these conditions.  It makes you count your many blessings in life.  That these children can live with hardly any comfort, no family support, and still smile, play games and laugh..well, it just brings me to tears.

I wish I could share all of her photos, but this is a sample that tells part of the story.

Devastation.






This is the orphanage where they stayed.


They stayed on the roof of this abandoned house at the orphange.  There was less of a chance of having things stolen by staying on the roof, plus the kids pee all over the floor of the orphanage.  Also, they could catch a breeze sleeping on the roof. Ronda's tent is the white one to the right.


They gave chiropractic care to those in pain.



This picture got to me the most.


Angelica, Jay Z and Jessica. They lost their parents in the earthquake. 


Ronda with Angelica and Jessica.  I think she left a piece of her heart with them.






Most people (myself included) talk about helping. Maybe it all seems so far away; maybe we just aren't sure what we can really do to make a difference. But Ronda actually went beyond the $10 Red Cross donations and touched peoples' lives.  I can't imagine doing something like this and it not changing you forever.


I know Ronda says she got much more out of this trip than she gave. I'm so proud to have a friend with such a kind, generous heart.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful post, Michelle!

Chris said...

wow. Rhonda, what a very selfless thing to do. You certainly have more compassion than me. Michelle, most excellent post.

T8ermom said...

I keep hearing the Beach Boys singing 'Help Me Rhonda' in my head. Lovely post to a lovely woman.