Saturday, September 4, 2010

ollie, by golly

It seems Dylan has found a sport to love.   This summer, he's been working on his skateboarding skills.  There was the camp he took several weeks ago.  And practicing around the neighborhood almost every day since.  

This morning, I promised him we'd get up early and I'd take him to the skate park in Leesburg.   He looked forward to it all week, only for us to arrive and realize it didn't open until noon on the weekend (I guess they figure no point in opening while the teenage crowd is still asleep).  Lucky for us, there is another skate park about 20 minutes in the opposite direction.  I couldn't say no, he was clad in helmet and pads and ready to shred.  Dude.  So off we went.  

Glorious weather - no humidity, mid-70's, blue skies.  And it was early, so we had the whole place to ourselves, other than one other kid.     



On the way to the skate park, he requested his current favorite rockin' tunes, to get in the mind set.  We rocked out to this, this and this.    Oh, and this and this.



A great morning, and so nice to spend time alone with him.  Its been me and the two boys all summer.  I forget how peaceful things can be when its just Dylan and me.



He isn't playing a team sport this fall, so maybe we can fill that void with this new hobby. He would stay out there for hours if I let him.  We stayed about two hours.


I hope to find some other skateboard clinics for him this fall, and also try some of the other skate parks in northern VA.  I guess Andrew should start working on building a half pipe in the backyard, in between the play set and the trampoline.   Maybe while he's at it, he should put in a Dojo for Logan, too.

No comments: