Friday, April 13, 2012

nine is fine

Dear Dylan,

Every year on your birthday, I write you a letter here, reminiscing and wondering where all the time has gone.  I was just telling Daddy the other day that its been so long since I’ve thought of you as a little boy.  Now, you’re my grown boy.  One who is mature, and responsible, and cares about making other people feel good.

Tomorrow you turn 9.  As you observed today, the last year you'll ever be a single digit.  Pretty amazing how time flies, isn't it?


Since the day I learned you were going to join our family almost 10 years ago, my life has been forever changed, brightened, and full of love.  Gone are the days I could pick you up, swaddle you, feed you and hold you.  But these are the days we can play together, laugh and make jokes, go on adventures, and talk about the world. 


You have grown so much this year.  You’ve turned into an avid reader, fitting it in between your beloved video games.   You blossomed as a swimmer, joining two different swim teams and always showing your desire to learn and improve.  You became a Scout, embracing good deeds for others and learning about community and giving back.  You’re a good, caring brother, even when he tries your patience daily.  I’m so glad he has you to set a good example and show him the ways of the world.  


You’re a good friend.  You’ve had many of the same friends for several years now, and you’re all so kind to each other.  You have learned very young what being a good friend is, and how to show your friends you care about them.   You make new friends as well, and I love when you come home from school telling me you've made a new friend.



You’ve learned so much at school this year.  Its amazing to me to hear you talk about all the things you know.   You’re so interested in history, and math, and how things work.   I love to watch you learn and grow at school.  Sometimes you sneak and stay up late reading in your bed.  You think we don't know, but we do. 



But mostly I just to watch you grow into a boy. One who is confident, caring, kind and full of adventure.   We’re so proud of you Dylan.  To us, you are the perfect son and we’re so thankful for the joy you’ve brought to our lives.  You bring so much happiness to so many people.  You are very, very loved.


If you want to read my other birthday letters to you since I've had this blog, here are 8, 7, 6, and 5.

To the moon and back.
Love,

Mom

1 comment:

T8ermom said...

Happy Birthday, Big D!