Wednesday, August 27, 2008

the little things are so big

We are having some crazy August weather. This last week of summer vacation, I envisioned many long final days at the pool, splashing and sweating and frollicking in the water. Instead, the weather lately has been too cool to swim and we've spent our days on walks and at parks.

Its been challenging week so far. I had to take my car into the auto body shop because a few weeks ago, I backed into someone at the farmers market and put a dent in my rear door. I now have a rental car until sometime next week. Call me spoiled, but its a total pain in the ass to now have a minivan without automatic sliding doors and no DVD player. I've also still been dealing with Verizon since we're having all kinds of issues with our internet service. We've had technicians here three times this week trying to fix us up. Today, my garage door opener stopped working. Yes, in the grand scheme, these are small, fixable problems.
Still, we've tried to fit in some fun to keep our days busy and the boys active.

In five days, Dylan starts kindergarten and the structure of our days will completely change forever. Today we had no plans and I decided we'd do something totally different. Even though the rain clouds loomed overhead, we headed to a local park for a little hike. The boys loved it, and I love watching them interact and explore together. We only hiked a mile, and Logan did so well, walking almost the entire way himself, stopping to explore tree roots and leaves and throw sticks into the bushes. At the end of the trail, we came to a steep cliff overlooking a beautiful panaramic view of the Potomac River. And my boys giggled and waved hello to two men fishing in a boat way down below and I just watched them and felt my heart swell with love for their innocence and wonder.





You just can't have too bad of a week when you have two little guys like this, holding your hand and offering you the prettiest leaves they can find.

No comments: