Friday, August 29, 2008

the last weekend

Well, well, here we are. The last weekend of summer vacation. The last weekend before Dylan becomes a kindergartener. The last weekend before new routines, more structure to our weeks, and a whole new chapter in our family.


The end of summer always makes me a little sad. And maybe this year, a little more so. Because from this point forward, the end of each summer will mean school is beginning and I'll have to give up these days of adventures with my boys. We've done so much this summer. From Dylan passing his swim test, to Logan going hog wild in the pool (at the beginning of the pool season, he would barely step into the water!), from spending long, lazy days at the lake, to bbqs, parties, days at the park, a bazillion walks in our neighborhood, field trips to Baltimore and Pennsylvania, many, many playdates and good times with family and friends. Its been a fun, fun summer.


But fall! Fall is coming! I love fall. There are Halloween costumes to create, farms to visit, mums to buy, pumpkin patches to explore and wine festivals to attend. I'm already looking foward to lots of baking projects this fall, and of course, our trip to Florida for Thanksgiving.


So summer, while I'm sad to see you go, I know that you'll be back. And next summer, maybe Logan will be old enough for us to try some new adventures - camping? hiking? river tubing?


Last night, we attended Dylan's back to school night. We met his teacher, Mrs. M:

We got to spend time in his classroom (did you know they don't have chalkboards anymore?! Its all LCD electronic gizmo stuff, and his classroom alone has more computers that my entire high school did when I was a senior!).






So when we put you on the bus Tuesday morning, Dylan, I can't promise that I won't cry when the bus pulls away. Because I still see you as my little baby. And I still have this crazy idea that you need me so much. But the truth is, you'll do just fine. You're going to meet new friends, and learn so much that I'll have a hard time catching up with you. I'm so proud of you.



PS - The school already hit us up for some fundraising. Anyone wanna buy some $10 wrapping paper?

No comments: