Thursday, October 2, 2008

its all about the carbs

For as long as I can remember now, Dylan has a phrase he says at bedtime when we turn out the lights.. "Goodnight, bye-bye makes everyone happy in this house, does it?" To which we have to respond "It certainly does." Then we have to say the same phrase back to him, and he responds back "It certainly does.". I have no idea where he got this, but this has been the part of the goodnight routine for over two years. I'm so glad I have this blog to record these silly little stories. I'd like to think I'll always remember them, but I know I won't as new stories take their place.

Some of the food names he comes up with just kill me. They aren't "Tic Tacs", they're called Tic Tac Toes. It's not Pirate's Booty, its Pirates Bootaaaaay.

Likewise, some of his meal and snack choices are pretty darn memorable. How about some refried beans, smeared on Tostitos, sprinkled with cheese and topped with sour cream? Some tomato soup, topped with Goldfish crackers and garlic croutons. Pretzel chips schmeared with chive cream cheese. Mustard and american cheese sandwich, with Pirates Bootaay schmooshed inside. Banana slathered with peanut butter, covered in sprinkles.

You'll notice two things about each of these 'meals' - no meat, no vegetables. Logan loves all of the above snacks as well, and he'll eat certain meats. But they have both boycotted vegetables since the beginning of time. Still, we try everyday. With dips, cheese, hidden in other foods (doesn't work for my kids). I can't remember liking or eating vegetables as a kid. But I love them now and I can't remember what the turning point was for me. I try not to stress. I've read so many books about picky kids and food and I know putting too much emphasis on this can turn into a battle of the wills.

Still, if anyone reading this has any fun kid recipes that involve vegetables that your kids just love, please share! Dylan will eat sweet potatoes, so that's a good starting point for some new recipes.

No comments: