Monday, October 12, 2009

NO-gurt

From time to time, I see a product on TV and I think to myself, why? Why on Planet Earth would anyone in their right mind buy that ridiculous idiotic thing? Why, why, why? Why would someone spend the time and energy INVENTING such a ludicrous product? Most of the time, these thoughts come after viewing infomercials for such ridiculous adult products such as Tony Little's Gazelle Freestyle (well, honestly I don't know much about the product but I just can't get past the terrible ponytail) or the infamous Flowbee (it certainly does suck). And who could forget Spray on Hair (c'mon, who are you fooling and P.S. what will you do when the downpour starts?).

But sometimes, the pure idiocy comes in the form of kid products.

And I was just reminded of this after seeing a commerical for Danimals Crush Cups kids yogurt. What genius thought this up? Certainly someone who doesn't have children of their own. Is it so difficult to just use a spoon to eat your yogurt? Does crushing the plastic cup do something special to the flavor of the yogurt? Because giving your kid old an open tub of yogurt and a spoon isn't messy enough. Lets make him have to violently squeeze the yogurt over the top of the widely open container to get it into his mouth. And what about all the yogurt that is sure to be stuck to the inside? No amount of tongue action is going to get all that out of there, lets be honest. This product ranks right up there with such kids winners as candy cigarettes and lawn darts. Its just insanity, in the disguise of a high fructose corn syrup dairy snack.

Of course, my 6 year and 3 year old boys saw this and immediately tuned into the fact that its yogurt for barbarians, and insist we have to go buy some immediately.

Um, no.

We'll stick to eating our yogurt with a spoon, the good old fashioned civilized way. Or at least squeezing it out of a nice, skinny Gogurt plastic tube. Hey, I have an idea. How about kids yogurt with some added fiber? They have this for adults, I know, but lets package it up in a kid appealing container, throw some Disney characters on there so they'll eat it, and I bet Moms would buy it right up. Speaking as a Mom who feeds two messy boys three meals a day seven days a week, if I can find healthy foods that my kids like AND won't make a giant mess for me to clean up, I'm an instant fan.

You won't be finding any Crush Cups in my fridge in this century. But at the rate my boys' hair grows and the cost of haircuts these days, we just might have to give the ole' Flowbee a try.

4 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

Oh yes. We tried the crush cup...FAIL!

your brother said...

As did we. Major fail. It works for about one bite then the remaining sludge needs to be dug out with a spoon. Not to mention it was ear to ear.

Boo on it.

Da Doo Run Run said...

Dan bought those once when I was not present (obviously).

F. A. I. L.

For all the reasons you mentioned.

T8ermom said...

We tried them. The crushability seemed weird, but the bottom line was that they just tasted awful. Not enough sugar!