Monday, January 25, 2010

Doug vs. Frank

Andrew's friend Doug is losing his battle with colon cancer.  He learned of his illness in March 2008, and has been fighting like hell ever since.  There have been ups and downs along the way, but recently the situation has taken a turn for the worse.  Two weeks ago he was told he has two months to live. 

He is married and has a son, Kyle, just a little older than Dylan, and they live in Florida.  Andrew and Doug performed in the collegiate circus at FSU together in the early 90's.  I didn't know Andrew then, but his tales of the circus days are always good entertainment and sometimes I do wish we had met in college, if not for any other reason, just so I could have been one of the girls he caught flying through the air.

When Doug learned of his cancer, he named his tumor 'Frank' and started writing a blog.   I learned of Doug and his blog from Andrew over a year ago and I've been reading ever since. 

I've been amazed at Doug's candor, his courage and his ability to look at his situation with humor.  I can't imagine what must Doug and his family must be going through.  How do you prepare yourself?  Your child?  Your wife?  How do you strike a balance between that preparation and living each day to the fullest in the short time you have left?

Doug made a Bucket List and published it on his blog last month. And on it are some of the simple pleasures in life. Things that the rest of us might take for granted. Things that we think we'll get done, someday.

Doug, you have taught me, there are no guarantees.  Live today.

Andrew recently wrote Doug a letter, with these beautiful words:

"And in my mind you will live beyond your too short time on this Earth, as you will in the minds and hearts of everyone you’ve met, and the thousands that have read your brave words, which will inspire people to fend off their own 'Franks'. You will live forever in the soul and in the eyes of your son, and the heart of your wife."

Doug, you are bold, beautiful and brave.  Your heart will live on forever, my friend.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Oh, Michelle. I visited Doug's blog and am completely awestruck with his bravery and sad to hear his news. I'm simultaneously speechless and compelled to offer my gratitude publicly. Thank you for informing us about his blog and his struggle. What an amazing lesson about the value of life and time. It's such a big lesson, I can't even glimpse it.