Monday, February 22, 2010

best potatoes, ever.

I'm a meat and potatoes girl. What can I say, I was born in Ohio.  Hash browns, french fries, tater tots, baked, mashed, au gratin, in salad, pierogies, in soup.  I love me some potatoes, I do.  I've really been missing summer produce lately and that fresh taste only summer can bring.  Andrew has started planning our garden for this year and has already started some seeds inside.  My mouth waters thinking of sweet corn and tomato mozzarella salad.  But potatoes are your friend year-round (yes, I realize they're a starch, not a veggie but just let's just go with it...).

When we need an easy, delicious side dish (winter or summer), this one gets heavy rotation at our house.  So simple, so delicious, and as an added bonus, easy on the wallet!  It goes with just about anything, too.


Super Easy Delicious Roasted Potatoes
  • medium sized red potatoes (use about 1 per person you're serving)
  • one medium yellow onion
  • olive oil (about 1/8 to 1/4 cup, depending on amount of potatoes)
  • seasoned salt  (I like to use this one, but you could use any kind of seasoned salt that is a blend of sea salt, garlic, onion, paprika, and red pepper).
  • black pepper
Preheat oven to 425.  Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.


Cut up potatoes into bite size chunks (eighths).  Dice onion.  Place it all into a large ziploc bag.  Pour in olive oil just to evenly coat them.  Sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper (to taste).  It doesn't have to marinate long, maybe 20 minutes to let it soak in a bit.

Dump potato/onion mixture onto baking sheet into one even layer.   Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until potatoes are brown and crispy and onions are carmelized.

These are great with any sort of meat/pork or chicken entree, and lovely with a dollop of sour cream for dipping.  If you have fresh herbs, dice up some chives and throw on top before serving. Delish!

No comments: