Tuesday, November 9, 2010

39 is fine

I quietly turned 39 over the weekend.  I really don't dread birthdays like many people... I think if you're happy in your life, it doesn't really matter what age you are.  I truly believe that.   And I am one lucky, lucky girl.  I have so many things to be thankful for, I can't even count all of my blessings.

Andrew and the boys started my birthday off by giving me some very sweet and thoughtful gifts. Things I would never buy myself.  Later in the afternoon, we dropped the boys off at Grandma's for an overnight slumber party.

We got gussied up back at home and headed to downtown charming Frederick, MD (who knew it was so cute and artsy?!) for an evening out with some great friends.  We started here, with an amazing meal of Spanish tapas.  The food just kept coming, each thing better than the next.  We tried Asparagus Fries, Baby Octopus, Roasted Artichoke Bottoms Stuffed with Lump Crab Meat on Saffron Butter (that one just made my mouth water typing it), Chorizo and White Bean Ragu with Ripe Tomato, Sweet Red Bell Peppers and Grilled Bread ... the list goes on and on.    Then we moved onto a cozy little vintage-feeling bar called Cafe Nola for some after dinner cocktails and happened upon a great little bluegrass band playing there.

I wish I had taken some photos of the evening.  Downtown was so picturesque and it was so nice to have an adult night out... we don't get many!   Its so good for your soul to have a break from being a parent and all that it entails...the cooking, the cleaning, the negotiating, the Mom stuff.  And having 24 hours to ourselves, to hear ourselves think again.  Just to talk to each other and not be interrupted.  Wow, a treat.  I love my boys dearly and with my whole heart and would do anything for them. But a break.  A break is good.  Really, really good.

Sunday started off by sleeping in and getting a scrumptious breakfast burrito at Anita's.  Then it was onto the Old Lucketts Store to browse thru antiques and knick knacks.   This is best done kid-free, so we haven't been in there in years.   So many treasures to be found, and they were having a holiday open house which got us in the mood to start some holiday shopping for the boys.  Which is where we headed next..I'm happy to say we've made a dent in the list already.  We joined the  kids later in the afternoon at my Mom and Robby's, meeting up with my brother, SIL and cousins Josh and Maya, for a casual birthday dinner together.  A great ending to a wonderfully relaxing weekend. The boys had a fantastic time with Grandma and Grandpa, and we got to be adults with no little people for 24 hours.

39 is fine, fine, fine.

No comments: