Thursday, November 18, 2010

Native American Way

For weeks now, the second graders at Dylan's school have been studying Native American history. We've been hearing all about the Pueblo, Lakota and Powhatan tribes and what they ate, where they lived, what they planted, which animal they hunted, how they traveled, etc.  He's had quizzes and learned songs and dances.  And last week he turned in his first ever diorama

This week has been American Education Week, and today all the second grade families were invited to school so the kids could show off their stuff.  Walking through the second grade hallway was very impressive today, I wish I had gotten a picture of all the amazing projects the kids have done.  I can't remember ever having to turn in such a complex project at such a young age AND the kids all had to give individual oral presentations on their dioramas! Things have changed since I was in second grade.

This morning to kick things off, we got to watch the second grade program, the Native American Way.  Dylan's class dressed in all brown, and represented the Lakota tribe, singing songs and performing a rain dance.  And! There was no puking this time!




When I'm in the school there is such a sense of pride and accomplishment in the kids, and the teachers are always smiling.  I'm in the school quite a bit... I volunteer for a couple of hours every Thursday in Dylan's Language Arts class, and periodically for other events too.  The teachers truly love what they do, and they're very, very good at it.  The level of noise and chaos teachers put up with on a daily basis would probably make my hair stand on end.  

The lunch room today alone was completely insane.... I don't know if there's a decibel that probably would describe it. But somehow Dylan and I found a little corner area all to ourselves and settled in for some cheese and crackers and hummus, celebrating his performance and all his hard work.

No comments: