Wednesday, March 9, 2011

juggling act


It wouldn't be a circus without a juggling act now would it? 

I've kept my mouth quiet about this latest development so I didn't jinx myself before it was a done deal.   But as of last Friday, I am officially employed.  Officially earning a paycheck.  A paycheck!

Its been a while, and though I've dabbled here and there these past 7 years with serving on boards of MOMS Clubs, and doing a little freelance marketing consulting, this is an honest-to-goodness consistent jobbity-job-job.  Its an ideal fit for me, as its mostly from home and very flexible.  It involves my past marketing experience but for a new and exciting client, and I get to work with lovely ladies from a past job I truly enjoyed.   The deal has been something we've been working to make happen for a long time now, and it all just came together and finally aligned.

Exciting!

This week is my first week with the new juggling act, and its going to be an adjustment.   But an adjustment we can happily and willingly make.  The job is part time,  up to 20 or so hours per week.  For 7 years my job....my focus, has included managing meals and homework, paying bills, house cleaning and laundry and organization, social calendar and vacation planning, gift buying and playdate coordinating, managing haircuts and doctors appointments and being resident chauffer.  Not that Andrew doesn't do more than his fair share of running his parts of the chore list.   We make a pretty good team.

Fitting this new job onto my plate will be something we'll be figuring out as we go along, so we can find a good balance and get everyone where they need to be, without living in chaos and filth in the meantime.   I've always had a mountain of respect and awe for career moms who work in addition to doing their parenting job.  And I've always felt that someday, if I could find a part time job from home, it would be my ideal dream situation.  Well, here we are!

Part time still allows me to volunteer at the kids schools periodically, manage the errands and appointments that need to happen every week, and yet I have something all my own.  Some adult interaction, and a paycheck to boot!  I don't have to give up fun things like spending time with the kids at the pool this summer, or taking them to a farm.  But when I want to take a break from my parenting brain, there is other work I can tend to and that I enjoy.

I imagine its going to take a few months before I feel like I know what in the world I'm going.  Its going to take some patience from the kids.  And while I dust these cobwebs off my work brain, I hope I don't drop any balls.  I hope I'm able to do myself proud.

1 comment:

T8ermom said...

You'll be smashing. I am so happy for you, my friend. Chaos and filth are just fine when accepted as a by - product of overall happiness.