Thursday, November 6, 2008

hope.



I have tried to steer pretty clear of political discussion here on the blog. But what has happened this week is just too important to not make mention here.

My family always votes Republican, we always vote Democrat. Andrew and my Dad have had many a political debate over the last months and we just agree to disagree on many political views and what needs to happen to get the country going in the right direction and give our kids a better future. Andrew lovingly refers to my Dad as a "right winger nut job", while my Dad calls us both 'bleeding heart liberals." I'm glad we can have a good healthy political debate in our family and no hurt feelings. It isn't easy when people on both sides feel so strongly.

Andrew first called my attention to Barack Obama when he was a keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic Convention. Since that time we have both read his books, and educated ourselves on his strategies to address the issues our country faces. After months and months of following his campaign closely, receiving hundreds of campaign emails and phone calls, Obama came to our town a few weeks ago. Andrew had the once in a lifetime chance to join 30,000 people at the rally. His word to describe being a part of that night - electric.

What I find amazing about Obama, even more than his plans, his history, his dedication to his family and his ability to envoke change in communities, is the hope he's created. Watching over 100,000 people celebrate with him Tuesday night, I felt lucky to be alive and be a part of what's to come. I felt lucky for my kids, who will grow up living in a world where all things are truly possible.

We saved the Wednesday edition of the Washington Post, with the headline "Obama Makes History.". The Post sold out all copies of the newspaper by 11 a.m. yesterday, and have since issued two reprints of hundreds of thousands of copies. At the store today, I saw multiple people buying huge stacks of these newspapers. I don't remember a time in my life people were clamoring for newspapers, trying to preserve a little piece of history. I have friends who work in DC hotels, where rooms are already sold out for the Inauguration.

Maybe its my imagination, but even in just the past two days, I've noticed people are smiling again. I know a lot of people don't think he has the experience needed to do the job. I hope they will give him a chance with an open mind. I know he's just one person and its going to take a lot of work and years to get things where they need to be. He will not be a perfect president. But I believe when spirits are lifted, and people feel inspired, people feel hopeful again. And that is a pretty good start.

No comments: