Wednesday, January 14, 2009

boy toys

When we play blocks with the boys, my strutures are usually your basic square or rectangular shape, no doors or windows, bare bones boring while Andrew's are all intricate with gables and vestibules. Give me some Barbies, I can spend hours setting up a mansion that would make P Diddy proud using random household items. But we don't exactly have a lot of Barbies in our house. Just a whole lot of boy toys. And my brain just doesn't work that way. I don't know what to do with cars, other than race them across the coffee table. Rescue Heroes, forget it. Star Wars Action figures, just not fun to me at all. Transformers, all I do is break them.


So when Uncle Hector and Aunt Lily sent Dylan the Lego Police Command Center for Christmas, clearly it was going to have to be a father/son activity. Last night, Andrew and Dylan (well, okay, just Andrew while Dylan and Logan tried really hard to lose some of the needed pieces) put together one part of it. Today Dylan asked if I'd build the next part for him. I looked at the huge box of tiny bits and pieces and started shaking in my boots. But then I looked at Dylan and what I could say "No, its too hard and its going to make my brain hurt really badly?". So down I sat and triumphantly tackled each structure.


Lego is smart. They had each of the four major parts of the thing split into separate bags. So instead of looking at a pile of 43,276 trillion pieces that needed to comprise three structures, you could empty out one bag of 13,412 pieces and know you only had pieces that would be needed for the one structure. I can do this. I have a degree. From a college.


So I sat down and got busy. And it was really fun and weirdly fulfilling! In fact, I'm so damn proud of it I took a photo. And now I'm already wondering what our next set should be?

2 comments:

T8ermom said...

Nice! Maybe you did so well because your subconscious brain thought those little Lego cops would come help out Barbie in a jam!

slackdoug09 said...

Well done.

Your next adventure could be a Lego's Star Wars set; they are a HUGE hit with my almost six year old son...