Wednesday, April 13, 2011

8

Dear Dylan,

I can hardly believe you’re turning 8 years old tomorrow! I’m so proud of the boy you’ve become, Dylan. Every year I sit down to write you a birthday message here (here are letters I wrote from when you turned 7 , 6 , and 5 ), and I end up looking at so many old photos and feeling so sentimental about how fast time goes by. I still want to hold you in my arms and take care of your every need. But, you’re growing up and becoming so much more independent. You have so many friends, and you’re good at doing so many things for yourself now.



Last week, your teacher called me just to talk about what a joy you are to have in his class. He said not only are you a very hard worker, but you’re always nice to all the other kids at school. You’re always respectful of your teachers, and you’re a good citizen at school. Your report card came home today and you earned so many “Outstandings” it was hard to count them all. He said your school work is nearly perfect all of the time, and your focus skills and time management have improved so much since the beginning of the year. I’m very, very proud of you.



There are so many things I love about you I couldn’t possibly list them all here. So I’ll just list a few. I love how you’re always thinking of other people and how things you do will make them feel. I love how you pick me tiny flowers every time we’re outside together. I love when you get an orange mustache from drinking Diet Orange Crush. And then you try to wash it off but it stays on anyway. I love how you never give up when you’re trying something new and it doesn’t come easily right away. I love watching you swim, and still think you’re part fish. I love watching you read a book and learning something new. I love hearing you laugh when you’re playing with your friends on the trampoline. I love that you never complain when I ask you to help me around the house. I love that you love the Beastie Boys. I love that you never make a big deal out of things and I wish I could be as laid back as you are about life. I love to help you write your essays for school and listen to your creative ideas. I love seeing you do nice things for Logan.



Most of all, I love the special bond you and I have, and always will. You’ll always be my oldest son, and that is very special to me. 




I can’t wait to share all the days ahead together, birthday boy.

To the Moon and Back,

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

JerseyBaby said...

Eight is great, and so is Dylan!
Hope his birthday is cake-filled and fun!