Monday, April 4, 2011

a day of play

We've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the first nice day of spring.  And wouldn't you know, it waited until the kids had a day off school to arrive.  Perfect time to meet a gaggle of wonderful friends at the park for some romping and running, some lunch (table for 18, please?), and bright blue ice cream.

I've known this group of women since the spring of 2003 when we all wandered, bleary eyed and exhausted, into the new moms support group at the hospital where our kids were born.  We sat on the floor in a hospital meeting room, with our newborns, commiserating over leaking boobs and sleep deprivation. We bonded over adjusting to this new world of being parents, and all the feelings of anxiety, joy, and responsibility.

We've stayed strong thru the years, thru potty training and going back to work, and our oldest kids are now all turning 8.  We all went on to have our second kids around the same time, and we all get together fairly often.  Even our husbands have bonded thru the years.  Two of our girls now live in Atlanta, and one in Fredericksburg.  The other five of us live in NOVA.  One of our Atlanta gals was in town this week to visit her parents, so we all met up at a park this morning for some time together.

In the years ahead, I know we'll be turning to each other as we watch our kids go thru puberty, and the awkward teenage years.  I'm so glad I have these ladies in my life.  It makes being a parent even better when you have like-minded friends to laugh about every challenge, frustration and achievement.  We've had many a girls night, many weekends away together, many bottles of wine, and trillions of emails reaching out to say "I can't tell anyone else what I'm about to tell you all, but I know you'll understand."  I know my experience as a parent would not have been the same these past 8 years without these dear ladies in my life.  We've all saved each other over and over again.


The first warm day led us to the ice cream shop after lunch.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, tops a beautiful day with dear friends. And ice cream.

1 comment:

JerseyBaby said...

Awe, shucks. Love you too! (And ice cream!)