Tuesday, May 10, 2011

bathroom update, day 5

Just snapped a few photos of today's progress.   I don't really know the proper terms for half of this stuff so I'll make it up as I go along. 

Today Craig installed the shower liner and thinset (?) for the shower floor, and put in the new drain.  He finished installing the light switch for the new overhead shower light, and filled in the outside facing shower wall with some foamy stuff (?).  I believe tomorrow he'll be covering that with plastic and will start hanging the shower drywall.  Tomorrow I believe he'll also be re-installing the newly refinished bathroom vanities Andrew has been working hard on to get just to just the right shade for the past several days. Craig also has the heating element wiring in place and a dedicated circuit for the heated floor, so we aren't blowing a fuse everytime we heat the floor and blowdry at the same time.    Also, he had to find a safe place to install the switch for the new light so we don't eletricute ourselves.

He has the new half shower wall framed in, and within that wall we have a 20 or so inch niche/shelf to hold our various toiletries and smell goods.   He laid down the Durock flooring and the step into the tub.

I'm sure he did much more than that as he put in a nice long day today, but much of what he does has still been the structural stuff. We're  not to the exciting 'pretty' stuff yet, but I can't wait for that.

He'll be back tomorrow and Thursday, then we're all taking a break and having a three day weekend.  We're heading camping here with family and friends (hopefully it won't rain like it did last year during our very first camping attempt with kids), and Craig's son is graduating from college.

He'll pick it up again next week and by then I would imagine we'll start seeing some stone and tile in place and getting a better feel for how its all going to look.  We've purchased two new mirrors to hang over both vanities, and got our paint.  I can't wait to see it all come together.  Once its done, I think I'll just live in the bathroom for a while until I've taken it all in.   Logan keeps thinking he's going to wake up in the morning to a whole new bathroom.  I wish it could happen that quickly!

Two things I imagine we'll be doing by the end of next week are getting the granite countertops measured exactly (the granite we chose currently sits at the warehouse with our name on it), and contacting the frameless shower glass people to come out and measure our specs so they can custom make our glass.

Cha-ching.





shower floor, looks like mud


New recessed light will go above shower in the bulkhead. 


Half wall with a built in niche for products. 
Frameless glass with go on top, and frameless glass shower door will go beside this.

No comments: