Wednesday, March 18, 2009

the simple things

Last night after the boys and I dropped Andrew to catch his flight, we pulled into a park next to the airport. Even though it was late, even though we had a long drive home ahead of us. And we sat and watched the planes taking off and landing. They went right over our heads, so close we could see the pilots thru the cockpit windows. We waved to every plane and I wondered if those people on those planes looked down and saw us. To the boys, watching those planes up close for 30 minutes was completely captivating and awe inspiring. And I won't lie, it was pretty darn cool.

They won't always be this young, innocently able to appreciate the simple things. I need to remember that some days. Sometimes, just taking a few minutes to do something a little wacky and out of the ordinary is what you most remember later. Last night, as a huge jet roared over us and we could feel it shaking our insides, Logan on my lap squeezing both of my hands tightly with his tiny hands, and Dylan hugging me close with both of his little arms, telling me "I love you so much", right into my ear.

The best moments in parenting happen when you can strip everything else down and just appreciate the purity of the moment for what it is. And its simple moments like last night I hope I never, ever forget.

No comments: