Sunday, March 29, 2009

taking it to heart

The phone rang Friday with the results from my physical from two weeks ago. I haven't had a physical in Lord knows how long. Its been at least 6 years, since before I was pregnant with Dylan. When you're pregnant, you're at the doctor all the time being poked and prodded, checking and weighed. You think you're covered. Then you get pregnant again, and add some more craziness to your life. You put everyone else's needs before your own, and forget how to make time for yourself. You go for months without painting your toenails. You forego the gym membership and put that money towards Christmas and birthday parties. And when you have a child like Logan, who didn't start sleeping thru the night until 2 years and 4 months old, you go to bed early and sleep as long as you can. You volunteer for a million different committees and clubs, and clean your house everyday because it makes you feel in control. You come up with every excuse under the sun to put your health low on the list. That's been my life. And along the way, I've found some weight. And then some more. And then learned I had a thryroid disorder. And you know you don't feel your best, but you continue to let the chaos of life bog you down, and ignore making the life changes necessary to feel your best. But I knew it was time to get myself to the doctor and pay the fiddler.

Well, that was yesterday. Today I have a whole new attitude. And I really have no choice, because on Friday I learned my cholesterol is high. Really, scary high. And I have one choice - to adapt a whole new outlook and change my life.

They have put me on a cholesterol lowering medication (almost everyone in my family suffers from this condition), and I will be re-tested in three months (sometime in June). But that alone won't be enough. Its time for some major changes around here. Better food choices, smaller portions, LOTS more exercise. Putting my health FIRST all the time, and setting a good example for my boys. I want to be around a long, long time to watch them grow up. I want to grow old with my husband.

I can do this. I have everything I need: a loving supporting husband, complete motivation, a support system of incredible family and friends. I can do this. I will do this.

Some keys for me will be variety in my exercise routine. We got a Wii Fit this weekend and a giant trampoline this weekend, and I can't wait to use them both. We have a recumbent bike in the basement where I can work out. Logan and I took a 2.5 mile walk today. We're heading into good weather and good produce and both will make it easier to get into some healthier habits. As my friend Danielle says, its not a diet, its a lifestyle change. Right now I don't even care about the weight loss, that will come. I want to lower my cholesterol and I want to feel my age. I want to run with my kids and have the energy to keep up.

My friend Dianna over at Tatertown put it this way, and I love this. I've adopted it as my new mantra:

“You are freaking GENERAL in the army of your life--just redeploy your troops to a new operational theatre. That might mean that things won't be as perfect in the area you leave or reduce troop support for, but you've got to go where your vital national interests lay. And right now that is your health."

No comments: