Tuesday, November 17, 2009

the big C

Two weeks away from Thanksgiving and all I can think of is Christmas already. Got some holiday shopping started already, thinking about teacher gift ideas, cookies and baking projects for the season, gatherings of families and friends, decorating the house and tree.. Thanksgiving gets the shaft, especially when they start playing Christmas music the day after Halloween and make you feel like you’re already behind. But I love Thanksgiving in all of its stuffing-gravy- laden-giving thanks-and-don't-have-to-shop-for-any-gifts goodness.

I love, love, love the holiday season. So many traditions, and getting to relive all of them and creating new ones with our boys is what it’s all about. We usually buy our live tree (ahhh, the smell of Fraser Fur) on Thanksgiving weekend. If you’re going to spend the money and go to all that work to decorate it, it may as well be up as long as possible.

But come January 2nd I’m more than ready to take it all down and get back to our regularly scheduled program. My friend Maryann and I were just talking about this the other day and she uttered this blog-worthy quote of the season.

“Christmas is like an orgasm. All the buildup, all the preparation, all the work, the excitement and then BAM. It’s over. Good night. Stop touching me.”

No comments: