Wednesday, May 12, 2010

parenthood

I really only watch TV one night a week. The weeknights are busy and after dinner, if we aren't at soccer or some other activity, we're outside. Other nights, Andrew and I will rent a movie and I also just started reading this. There aren't a lot of TV shows worth much, in my opinion.

My favorite show of all time was the HBO series, Six Feet Under, which ended a few years ago. It was edgy, provocative and was written by one of the greatest TV writers ever, Alan Ball. It was intense, darkly funny and had a great cast.

I didn't think there could ever be a show I enjoyed as much, especially on network TV.

A few months ago, I tuned into the premiere show of Parenthood, a new drama on NBC that is loosely written as a continuation of the 1989 Ron Howard movie Parenthood. I've always loved that movie, even before I became a parent. Its funny, touching and has some great dialogue. I especially love this brilliant metaphor of life and parenthood.

Ron Howard is one of the creators of the new Parenthood and the stories are modernized progressions of the storylines from the original movie. The casting is great... Peter Krause (who was also in Six Feet Under), Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard, Craig T. Nelson... And the struggles and triumphs of this family come over as real life, emotional and current. In the show, Peter Krause's son has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Next to that old show, Life Goes On, I don't remember a show ever featuring a disability that hundreds of thousands of families are living with every day. The writing is warm and intelligent...its not over the top, gimmicky or exaggerated. Its tender and bold at the same time.

There is something for everyone in this show, and the music is really great too (you can find a listing of music per episode here).

I'm usually an early to bed kinda girl, but this is one show worth staying up for (yes, I know I could record it, but it comes on right after Glee ends and I've already mentioned I'm a big Gleek).

Tuesday night TV rocks, even if I'm a little sleepy come Wednesday mornings.

No comments: