Tuesday, March 16, 2010

mean mommy


I am a mean, mean mommy. Last night, I made brussel sprouts for dinner, and I asked the kids to try them. They don't eat nearly enough vegetables and I just wanted them to try something new. I don't believe in frozen brussel sprouts... they're horrendous and disgusting. I wouldn't eat one if it were the last vegetable on Earth. Nope, these were fresh delicious little tiny cabbages and I told the kids leprechauns eat them, to get them into the St. Patrick’s Day spirit. I also told them if they didn't eat them, there would be no dessert and I meant it. I gave them eat a tiny little bit next to their chicken piccata and corn casserole.

Did they eat it? Dylan may have taken a small lick and declared them inedible. Logan didn't so much as even look at them. I did allow them have some fresh pineapple for 'dessert' but I stuck to my guns with the no sweets for dessert. Mean mommy!

Me? I had two servings and I'm eating the rest for lunch today. Delicious, I say! You have to buy fresh, and either pan sauté or roast them in the oven. No frozen box brussels, and I also don't think they're very good boiled.

Here is how I usually like to prepare them:

1 lb fresh brussel sprouts
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt
pancetta or bacon, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • rinse and chop of the bottoms, peel off any loose or yellow leaves, then cut each one about four times so it resembles shredded cabbage
  • heat olive oil in deep frying pan over medium heat
  • add pancetta and garlic, sauté until slightly browned
  • add brussel sprouts, stir until all leaves are lightly coated with oil
  • sauté approximately 10 minutes, until sprouts are a nice bright green, add a dash of sea salt
  • add balsamic vinegar, sauté an additional 5 minutes, vinegar will start to caramelize the leaves
  • turn burner down to low, sprinkle sprouts with parmesan cheese until melted
  • Serve and enjoy! They have a nutty, sweet and sour taste thanks to the vinegar along with a great chewy texture.
  • If you're vegetarian, omitting the bacon or pancetta wouldn't take away from the flavor.  Perhaps adding some walnuts would add another layer of flavor and chewiness.  I may try that next time.
Now, what are the odds I can get the boys to eat carrots and cabbage I'm making tomorrow for St. Patrick’s Day?   Hmmmmm...  Probably as likely as my seeing a leprechaun run through our backyard. 

No comments: