Tuesday, December 14, 2010

sending our love

As the holiday nears, each day is becoming more and more of a whirlwind.  The kids both have holiday programs coming up at school.  There have been teacher gifts to buy and to bake.  Gifts to wrap and soon (hopefully, c'mon Snapfish!) there will be holiday cards to address and mail.  By the middle of next week, both kids will be out of school and we'll really be in the middle of the magic.  I hope it doesn't go by too quickly.

At this moment, I have this in the oven.  It just isn't Christmas until I make my dear Grandma Unklesbay's Party Mix.  Hers taste so much better than the current recipe you find on the side of the cereal boxes.  It makes a ton and is easily packaged up to take to a party, give as a gift, or just munch while you watch your favorite Christmas movie.

Another thing I love about this time of the year.... going to the mailbox.  Yes, its been 24 degrees out everyday lately but I still love heading to the mailbox to see which of our friends and family have sent us a card.  I love displaying them on a clothesline between our kitchen and family room, and I'm always sad in January when its time to take them down.  In the past, I've used them to make a collage for the boys of their friends and family.  But maybe this year I'll just keep the clothesline up all year. 



Its such an old fashioned gesture, sending these cards in these days of Facebook and email.   Not to mention expensive and time consuming.  But just like my Grandma's party mix, it just wouldn't be Christmas without the exchange of cards with our most dear friends and family.  I love the updates, and the thought that goes into every card to choose just the right pictures and words. 

I wish I had time to sit down and right a personal message to every single person on our list.  That ended when kids came, but its one reason I have this blog.  It would be impossible to sum it all up in one Christmas card anyway.  Or even a hundred.

No comments: