Friday, December 11, 2009

Grandma Unklesbay's Party Mix

Some recipes just never get pulled out until the holiday season and quite frankly, become a completely holiday tradition in and of themselves. This is that one for my family. Since I was a kid, my Moms' Mom made this every single year...it was as much as a part of Christmas as stockings and Santa. My Mom makes it every year, and got Andrew addicted to it. And now I make it every year too.


A sidenote. Yes, Unklesbay was my grandparents' real last name and we've never met another soul with the same name. My Mom became a Williams when she first got married and I'm sure it was quite a change for people to not do a double take when she mentioned her last name. And she is now a Jett, another easy one in comparison to Unklesbay. Its got a little pig Latin twang to it, right?


A couple of things have changed since my dear Grandma used to make this - the size of cereal boxes has gotten much larger, so don't use the entire box of each... 3/4 is fine. The recipe is very similar to the one found on Chex cereal box, but something about this just tastes better... I think its the extra baking time, and certainly the extra butter and Worcestershire sauce. If you don't have a roasting pan with a cover, just cover with foil the first hour, then remove. Your house will smell great while this is cooking too.


This makes a great munchie to keep around for the holiday season, but you can also put in tins to give as gifts. I love sweets as much as anyone, but sometimes you just need something to satisfy the salty craving. This photo is prior to oven roasting...it gets all nice and browned and crunchier after time in the oven.




Grandma Unklesbay's Party Mix

1 9 oz bag of thin pretzel sticks
2 cans of mixed fancy nuts (or 1 large can/jar)
1 box Cheerios
1 box Rice Chex
1 box Wheat Chex
1 1/2 cup butter (3 sticks. I know, I know, but don't skimp, it won't be the same...)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP garlic salt
1 TBSP celery salt
1 TBSP onion salt

Mix pretzels, cereals and nuts in a large shallow roasting pan (you can spread parchment paper first). Melt butter, add seasonings. Pour over pretzel/cereal/nut mixture. Mix well.

Bake at 225 degreees for 1 hour covered. Remove lid/foil and bake another hour.

Important - be sure to stir frequently during the 2 hour baking process, bottom will burn if you don't.

Enjoy, its totally addictive!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My last name is Unklesbay! There are a small number of us in St. Paul MN!!

Michelle said...

I've never met another Unklesbay!! Very unusual name!