Monday, January 3, 2011

back to life

Winter break is over.  Today was the first day the kids went back to school.  I thought this morning would be much more brutal, since we've all been sleeping in until at least 8 am for the past 12 days.  But, the kids were ready for school and I was ready to get back into the regular routine of life.  We were up before sunrise and once the coffee was brewing, things fell right back into place. 

It was a rough winter break for me.   I came down with what I think was the flu right before Christmas, and it morphed into acute bronchitis.  I went to the doctor once, and then to the ER five days later when I wasn't feeling better.  Andrew was able to stay home all week so I didn't have full on kid duty.  Fortunately, no one else has come down with my illness, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Once Christmas came down, he spent every waking moment repainting our family room, and assembling the entertainment center we bought a couple of months ago.  Its been sitting in boxes in our garage waiting for the holidays to be over.   But it wasn't as easy as just putting it up.  You know how it goes.  First you buy a new TV, which won't fit in in the old entertainment center.  So you buy a new entertainment center. But before that goes up, you may as well paint.  One thing leads leads to the next, leads to the next.  And now we're shopping for new lamps, a new ceiling fan, and shelf tchotchkes.  We need to get stuff back up on the walls, too. 

My digital camera died over the holidays, so my brother and SIL have been kind enough to lend me theirs until we decide which new one to buy.  Add it to the list, right?  I can't seem to take a photo of the entire room and get the right lighting to do it justice.  So for now, here's the entertainment center and one of my favorite little knick-knacks.





Maybe 2011 will be the year we finally have the master bathroom re-done.  Its in dire need of some repair and well, a complete overhaul. An overhaul that's going to cost thousands of dollars.  And require a new shower, which will lead to new flooring, which will lead to a new vanity, new mirrors, new paint, new fixtures.... 

For now, lets just enjoy the family room.

No comments: