Sunday, January 30, 2011

the surprise

Yesterday morning, we put the boys in the car and told them we were heading downtown for a tile and bath expo.  A kids worst nightmare, right?  We do have a bathroom remodel project coming up in the near future, and they've been hearing us talk about it and we've had contractors to our house lately.  I'm sure it all seemed plausible.

They didn't see me quietly slip the bag of ear plugs and snacks into my purse.

We headed towards DC, and they were perfectly fine to be going to look at tile.  That's what made it even better when we unveiled the surprise walking into the packed Verizon Center.

"Hey guys," I said. "Guess where we are?  Guess what we're going to do today?"  "Shop for tile?", Dylan answered.  "Nope.  We're at MONSTER JAM!  We're at the Monster truck Jam, and its going to be ALL day, monster trucks, mud, noise and did I mention monster trucks?" 

My boys love them some monster trucks.  We own every Monster Jam video game and every Hot Wheels Monster Jam truck. Their eyes took on a glittery look, and the grins spread from ear to ear.  "Really? We're going to see Gravedigger too?".   Instant group hug and kisses all around.  "Like right now, the monster trucks are right here, right now?"

My friend Suzanne works for Feld Entertainment and buying the tickets through her, she was able to get us really great seats to see all that action up close. And, prior to the show we were also able to go down into the pits and see the trucks.   I wasn't expecting the floor to be muddy.  Good thing I didn't wear my 4 inch heels.

It was LOUD LOUD LOUD. And the emcee of the show sounded exactly as you'd imagine he would.  Remember those commericials, "SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY!"  They threw merchanise into the crowd a few times, and Andrew caught a Gravedigger whirly bird, to the boys delight.  My favorite part, and I think the part the boys were most impressed with, were the motorcross bikes, flying up ramps and doing flips in midair.  Pretty darn cool.  Even for non-motorsports experts like myself.












After the show ended, we were planning to drive right home. But while driving by the Smithsonian row, we scored a rock star parking spot in front of the National Museum of American History. We had an hour to run through and see some cool stuff, including a replica of the "L" in downtown Chicago circa 1950's, some of the original puppets from The Muppets, Dorothy's ruby red slippers from The Wizard of Oz, and a replica of the presidential podium.  I loved that the kids were as interested in this stuff as we were.  We shut down the museum with the promise to the kids we'll go back soon.  I love they're at the ages we can do these kinds of adventures and all enjoy ourselves.





I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd attend a monster truck show, let alone enjoy myself. But to watch my boys mesmerized, in awe and completely captivated made it all worth it.

Logan declared it the best day of his life. Dylan said he can't wait to tell all his friends at school, and that he'll never forget it.  What a great day.

Suzanne told me the show is returning to an outdoor venue this summer in Baltimore. So I think we'll be planning to check it out again, as soon as I can grow my mullet and purchase a deer hunting jacket!

1 comment:

SLC said...

How fun!! I keep missing the boat on getting tix for my little D to see the Monster Trucks. We have a nice collection of the trucks too! Keep me posted on the Baltimore event.