Thursday, January 20, 2011

why do bad things happen to good people?

A friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer today. She is my age, she has three kids, and she such a smart, caring, giving, compassionate, beautiful person.


I’m mad as hell. I don’t understand.

Two days ago, I met another woman. My age, three kids. Active, healthy. A do-er. Was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer 2 years ago. Another friend, age 25, learned two weeks ago he had a tennis-ball sized tumor growing in his brain. What in the world is going on? Why is this happening to so many people?

As challenging as life can be sometimes, and as hard as things can feel, my old go-to is to say "Well, at least we have our health!".  But, what if you don't?

The prognosis for my friend is very good. But I’m still angry she will have to interrupt her life, her family, and undergo treatment and possibly surgery. She will never be the same. She will always be looking over her shoulder.

No comments: