Tuesday, July 1, 2008

its a scary world

I try not to watch the news too often, and we especially don't watch it when the kids are awake. I do read the paper, and I read news online when I have time. And I'm often amazed at how often the stories just sicken me. I just read this on CNN, and it turned my stomach. How could a security guard see this woman and not even get up out of his chair? Disgusting. What if this was your family member? And to think other people in the waiting room didn't get up to help this woman, or at least go find a hospital staff member to help her. What is wrong with people?

This is a local story that has been breaking the past few days, and its another stomach turner. The guy killed a white cop by running him over, was thrown in jail, and less than 36 hours later, while in solitary confinement with only prison guards having access to him, was found dead (presumably by strangulation). So who strangled him, is the question, and what kind of racial tension will it create not only in the prison, but throughout the county and beyond? The story is getting ton of media attention, which sadly is overshadowing the fact that the police officer will be buried tomorrow. I don't believe in vigilante justice, but lets look at the facts. Neither of these guys would be dead if the cop hadn't have been run over in the first place. This all took place in the county in Maryland I grew up in. I even toured this jail as part of my social sciences class when I was a senior.

Then there was the story last winter of the DC woman, who murdered her four daughters and kept them in an upstairs bedroom for months before they were discovered. So many people failed those girls, from the school system, social services and their own relatives and neighbors.

People turn their heads and don't want to get involved, too busy with their own problems I guess. I do believe the world is full of good people with good intentions. But these horror stories make me wish I could censor the world for my kids and make it a little less scary.

1 comment:

T8ermom said...

Wow. I hadn't seen this. Sick, but not surprising. The other patients in the waiting room were probably in the same shape she was and the employees were obviously just on the other side of the fine line that divides us human beings. My great uncle, Eamon Michalek, died in the waiting room at a VA hospital. No one noticed he was dead until the end of the day. He didn't fall on the floor though, he just slumped over in his seat. Awful.