Friday, July 25, 2008

sick, that and the other

Its been a long week here at the circus and if I had any photos to share, they'd be of Dylan laying on the couch, multiple trips to the pediatrician, and me trying to entertain an active two year old who doesn't understand his brother is sick and we can't go have any fun.

Yes, Dylan is sick again. It started Tuesday night with some lethargy and fever. By Wed morning he still didn't want to eat or do anything, or even get dressed. Totally unlike him. So off to the peds we went, where he promptly threw up all over their waiting room. Strep test - negative, ears looked fine, no fever.. chalked it up to a random stomach virus. Back home, lots of couch and TV time, thankfully no more throwing up. Yesterday he just kept saying his stomach hurt, but no other symptoms other than lack of appetite and lethargy. Today he started coughing and still complained of stomach pain. So back to the ped for a re-check. I thought he might test positive for strep this time, or something...anything... Its so hard when they don't feel good and you have no answers. I even thought maybe he was making it all up at this point for attention. Turns out whatever this thing is has now morphed into a head cold. So we're trying Afrin nasal spray and hoping he'll be normal for the weekend. I have to admit I felt like an idiot taking my child in today only to hear he has a head cold. But I can't tell you how many times we've been stranded in the middle of a Saturday night with a sick child and no where to go but the godforsaken ER. Better safe than sorry.

So while we've been stuck in the house most of the week, I've washed the floors, cleaned out some cabinets, scooped a weeks' worth of dog shit out of the backyard, watched many episodes of Dirty Jobs, and Logan and I tried out all the new paints he got for his birthday. Good times.


************************************

We are supposed to get the new Verizon FiOs internet and TV service this weekend. Its been scheduled for a month. Except today I found out there was some major screw up on our account. I had to spend over an hour on the phone, re-confirming my entire order that I placed a month ago and rescheduling our installation while Dylan chased the dog around the kitchen island and Logan was screaming about something sticky on his hands. Why do I often find myself on the phone spending hours of my time because someone at some company didn't do their job right? Isn't it so maddening? I seriously considered holding the phone up to Logan while he was screaming, just to give ole' Verizon my middle finger. You know we want you Verizon. Your high speed access and 250 channels, saving us $100 a month from what we pay right now. We'll take the abuse this time. But don't let it happen again.


************************************

Dylan on his couch deathbed this week "I love you so much mommy. You are the sweetest mommy in the whole wide world. I need some more red Gatorade. Can you bring it to me in a glass with and a straw so I don't have to sit up? And can I watch more Scooby Doo while you rub my back? Put the blanket over me I'm cold."

************************************

I watched Hopkins on ABC last night for the first time. I love medical shows, but this is reality and it was a little intense. One of the stories was about a little 9 year old girl Mya who drowned and was brain dead, but still alive. Her family was faced with the decision of taking her off life support and letting her pass on. It broke my heart. I'm sure the show was edited down a lot, but I didn't feel the main doctor (Dr. Fackler) was very empathetic with her family. Its a situation too horrific to even think about and I couldn't help but wonder how I would react. I would just hope to have a doctor with a better bedside manner and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so. I also kept wondering why this family gave permission to be filmed during such a private time of grief. It seems opportunistic of the producers, and I wonder if someday soon the family will regret it?

*************************************

Have a fantabulous final July weekend. Countdown to kindergarten - FIVE weeks. Countdown to lake house vacation week - just over TWO weeks.

2 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

I'm going to set my Tivo for that show! Love medical shows.

Michelle said...

Me too! According to their website there are only 6 episodes and I think I caught episode 5 this week, which would be mean only one more left. I'm hoping they decide to add more episodes.