Thursday, April 23, 2009

Logan Arithmetic

There is not a big enough bottle of Motrin to dissipate the headaches this day has brought so far. Here is the Logan Arithmetic:

  • 1 meltdown over riding scooter to bus stop
  • 6 episodes of screaming at me in Target about wanting to get out of the cart to run around and me not buying him any candy or a giant box of Fruit Loops
  • 5 time-outs in Target and 1 time out in the car in parking lot
  • 25 meltdowns face down on the floor so far today at home over not being allowed candy, brother picking on him, the sky not being blue enough, wanting his hair combed, not wanting his hair combed, refusing to take a nap and not being allowed to watch TV, falling down and not wanting to go back to the bus stop to pick up Dylan, it being too windy and did I mention, not being allowed candy?

And, just for good measure, trying to change a flood light only to have the bulb come apart and the metal socket become disconnected inside the light fixture. Woo Hoo!

In all seriousness, Logan's behavior has taken a sudden dive and is more extreme than usual lately. He's either one of two things: one top of the world ecstatic, or tantruming like his life depends on it. There's no living in the middle for him. And as a result, I've been found more than once sticking my head inside the oven upon Andrew's return home from work. If anyone has a free plane ticket to a lush, tropical kid-free island, I'll be your best friend forever.

6 comments:

shaka said...

My son is 2 and a half and acts the same, or did. I changed his diet completely, and cut out most artificial things and like red dye 40 for example and he is totally content w snacking on pumpkin seeds and drinkin carrot juice, his attitude has changed COMPLETELY it's amazing. Could that have anything to do with it? :)

Michelle said...

We've tried some dietary changes, but the red dye 40 thing is interesting and one we haven't tried to avoid yet. I'll have to look more into this. I'd sure love to find a dietary reason that is totally fixable as a reason for his behavior. My fear is, he's just built this way. Two is hard.

shaka said...

I totally agree I love the twos ha! I know you live in NOVA, so in Woodbridge there is a Wegmans, have you been? Best grocery store ever it's so worth the drive for me and has like a whole gluten free aisle and all kinds of special healthy kids snacks, drinks, body washes not to mention its really inexpensive and has everything you could ever want!

T8ermom said...

I think you're probably correct Michelle. Foods only part of it. Natural wiring is another part of it. Connor is not exactly emotionally level either. We're back on the "no dairy" for him and I've tried to seriously cut the sugar. All of this is just a massive PITA.

Michelle said...

Shaka, we live in Ashburn and we're so lucky to have Wegman's 10 minutes down the road. Plus they are building another one in Leesburg nearby. My favorite grocery store with lots of great healthy choices! By the way, the recipe on your blog yesterday looks really yummy and I can't wait to try it. My boys love pasta.

shaka said...

Well I'm jealous! I live in Alexandria take a little hike to get to one, and thanks its very yummy and good cold too!