Friday, May 8, 2009

big boy world

Logan's language is just catapulting at an insane rate these days. Its not only the words, its the more abstract ideas he's stringing together on his own. Its really amazing to watch. Some examples lately have been him asking us "you happy, Mom? Dylan happy, Mom? Daddy happy, Mom? I happy, Mom." And today he said "I school, you miss me, Mom?" (when I'm at school do you miss, me?). To think just a few months ago he had only a handful of two and three word phrases.

Speech therapy is going swimmingly. He loves his teacher, and she him. In fact, on Wednesday she told me he is the light of her day when she sees him. He can be a charmer when he wants to be. He loves 'school' and gets so excited when its a school day. Although he only stays for 30 minutes each time, he comes home with a great new game or craft he and his teacher made together and he's just so proud of his work.

I've decided to dangle the promise of big boy preschool next fall to see if I can motivate him a bit more about potty training, since the language is really coming together. He has to be fully potty trained by Sept 1 or he can't go to preschool. We're giving big boy underwear a go today and if he does well, we'll try all weekend. Cousin Maya is wearing big girl underwear these days, and when I told Logan today, he insisted he was a big boy, too, and needed underwear. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to put a Pull Up on over the underwear when he goes to speech therapy today just in case. I guess we're entering the time of carrying lots of spare changes of clothes with us everywhere, and many, many hours spent in the bathroom as a group effort. I remember these days with Dylan, although it seems in my mind that it took three days to potty train Dylan and he was done. He was so early and so easy, and even fully potty trained thru the night before he turned three. Logan will get there, we just have to find the right motivation for him. I'm not above offering him whatever it takes!

***Potty Training Update

It is now 6 p.m. and the day has seen three pee accidents and one poop. However, he has gone in the potty every time I've asked him to, which is a change from a month or so ago. Then I'd suggest he go and he'd look at me defiantly and respond "NO!". At least today he's been cooperative in going when I ask him to. We're continuing with the Pull Ups over the big boy underwear. I was totally anti-Pull-Ups for Dylan but this time I have to have a different strategy since 1) I don't want to be washing the couch every 30 minutes and 2) our crazy life/schedule just does not allow us to stay home all day long like we did when I potty trained Dylan. If he pees, his undies still get wet (desired outcome), but the Pull Ups keep me from having to take the car seat apart and wash it a million times which I just don't have time to do. We'll see how this weekend goes with this all. Its such a pain asking him every 30-45 minutes to go potty, and I feel like I've been in the bathroom all day with him. But I'll go through any amount of pain if the end result is a diaper-free day. So, we'll see how this goes.

No comments: