Friday, September 25, 2009

three weeks in....

Today is the last day of the third week of the school year, and I'm thrilled to report that so far, so good. Although our days are starting much earlier than they used to, we all seem to have adjusted well and no one has missed the bus yet! My boys contintually make me proud at how well they adjust to change and welcome new experiences with complete open arms.

Last night, I attended Dylan's back to school night and had a chance to meet the entire First Grade Team. The teachers presented the curriculum for the year, and explained how homework will operate. Up until now its been one math work sheet a night but the full load begins next week with math, spelling and reading every weeknight (except Fridays). The first graders were all individually tested and have been grouped together with other first graders at their same language level. Starting next week, Dylan will spend two hours a day with his Language Arts teachers, focusing on reading, writing and spelling peers at his same ability level. I remember first grade being the time I learned to read, and I've carried a passion for reading my whole life. I hope this for both of our kids!

We're constantly impressed with Dylan's school, both the entire faculty and the programs, and feel so fortunate we have such great schools in our community. His school Fall Fair is this weekend and Andrew and I will both be volunteering in between letting the kids play games, sink Dylan's teacher in the dunk tank, and eating some great food. Next month, I'll begin volunteering in Dylan's classroom perdiodically too.

Meanwhile, Logan loves preschool and can't wait to hop in the car on preschool mornings. I walk him to his classroom and he greets his teachers, eagerly heading right in, barely stopping to give me a kiss goodbye. He loves to stay busy and I know his time flies when he is there. His teachers are so sweet, and so nurturing. Its a fantastic preschool and the staff is so organized and fun. This week they introduced music class and got to have the first of many birthday cupcakes, I'm sure. I'm one of the two Room Parents for Logan's class, and we're already starting to plan for the oh-so-cute Halloween party.

Its fantastic having this chance to be involved at the boys' schools, meeting other parents and getting to know the teachers. I'm very, very fortunate to have this opportunity.

1 comment:

Yum Yucky said...

Some people don't give a hoot about what happens with their children's schooling. It's great that you're so involved and enjoying this time! :D